Monday, March 9, 2009

All Star Superman


This is the first Superman comic I have read in a long time. I've always been more of a Batman fan because Superman is, well, just too good. However, I must say that I did enjoy All Star Superman and am excited to read volume 2. I think this is because it's written by Grant Morrison, who's characters tend to never be goody two shoes. I loved the whole idea that Superman is being killed by his own power and that it was, of course, Lex Luthor who orchestrated everything.
My favorite scene was the prison scene. I love how Lex, who looks a lot like Grant Morrison, is going on and on about how great he is and how Superman must be stopped and Clark Kent/Superman is saving him while Lex is not looking. Then, on page 126, Lex says Kent is everything Superman is not. The eye brow scene on page 127 was priceless. However, I think it's scenes like these that are the reason why I never really got into Superman. They are funny but the belittling of the villain makes them seem less important or should not be taken seriously by the reader. Lex should be taken seriously, of course, but when he is presented this way I just don't think he is as cool or as dangerous as, oh let's say, the Joker.
The art was awesome. Everything I expected of Quitely, after reading WE3, was there. The panels were more traditional but I think that is appropriate for a Superman comic. My favorite page would probably be the full page drawing of Superman and Lois Lane kissing with Earth over head in the background on page 78.
A very interesting story. I wish I knew more about Superman so that I could get into more. Also I wish I was more interested in science because I think that could help here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment